Juicing for breakfast and lunch: Recipe day 5

Beet, blueberry, strawberry,
pomegranate, carrot, apple juice
Today's juice tastes like dirt. A nice big ole glass of fresh compost really. What a way to start the day.

I hate beets, yet I keep giving beets another chance. I keep hoping my hippie juice loving self will overpower that filthy dirt taste that beets have. I swear this is the last time. I swear I will know better next time. Also, too much beet juice can kill you. Something that gross should kill you.

However, in small quantity, beet juice is powerful:

Health Value of Beet Juice

The antioxidants in beet juice provide you with a convenient way to help your body fight free radicals, which damage cells and might contribute to cancer, heart disease and other diseases. Researchers at Oxford Brookes University in the United Kingdom found that a concentrated shot of beet, also called beetroot, juice has high total antioxidant and polyphenol content. Polyphenols act as antioxidants to block the action of enzymes that cancer cells need for growth. Antioxidants from the beetroot shot were more bioaccessible than those from other vegetable juices, the researchers report in the June 2011 issue of the “Journal of Functional Foods.”
Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/555645-dangers-of-juicing-beets/#ixzz2Ccyep1w5

I also learned that the Omega juicer does not like frozen fruit. Yes, this seems like common sense now. I wanted strawberries and blueberries and it's just not a good time of year to buy them, especially organic. I thought I would try frozen but I more or less just made sherbet out the waste end of the juicer. I was able to thaw the blueberries and successfully use those, but the strawberries appeared to be a mushy mass and wasted.

Today's juice recipe:
  • 1 small golden beet
  • 1 cup of frozen strawberries (that may or may not have been wasted out the juicer)
  • 2 cups frozen blueberries
  • 1 pomegranate
  • 1 clementine orange my daughter insisted we add
  • 2 organic carrots
  • 1 large organic apple


Comments

  1. I have a love hate relationship with my omega juicer. Takes forever to get all those fruit pieces down the tiny hopper. I'm on a juice kick myself but I have to juice enough apples to make up half the volume of what I drink before I can add in the beets. I've done beet greens, beets, kale, celery, and romaine and then I mix it with enough apple juice to make it drinkable without gagging.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment