Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Natural Way to Cure a Cold or Flu: Jalapenos

Cure your cold with jalapenos
Photo credit: cjmartin
I will take no responsibility for those who are not accustomed to eating spicy food and attempt this on their own with the result of a very unpleasant bathroom experience the following day. You may want to slowly build up your tolerance to hot peppers prior to trying this cold cure.

For those of you who enjoy spicy food on a regular basis like me, you will find this process not only tasty, but a damn miracle.

I have tried this jalapeno cure on four different occasions now. I am of the solid opinion that it is not coincidence, but a scientific fact that taking in a large amount of hot peppers right as a cold or sore throat is coming upon you, will in fact kill any virus even attempting to hinder your general positive disposition about life.

The most recent case of this cure working was this past weekend. My husband and both kids have had a pretty strong cold for about a week and a half. My husband even had a low fever for half of a day, with sore throat, major congestion in his sinuses and chest, with a deep uncomfortable hacking cough. I knew it would creep up on me at some point. Part of "the cure" (not to be confused with the iconic rock band) is being totally honest with yourself and really understanding when your health is being compromised. I take note of these things by feeling the lymph nodes in my neck, just under my jaw bone, and noting any pain or swelling. Also that familiar tickle in your nose or throat is a good indicator that hell is settling upon you. This is the moment you need to take action.

As soon as I felt the sickness coming on I upped my fluid intake. Iced green tea and water all day long. At least 60 ounces of fluid.  I am also a fan of zicam. Zicam works when taken every 3 hours for at least 2 days. But those two things were not enough. This sickness was created by the devil himself and he was not going away without some sort of fiddle showdown. This was a job for jalapenos.

I bought a jar of the plain pickled jalapeno slices. I placed two flour tortillas in a cast iron on the stove with a thick slice of cheddar on each. Once the cheese was melted and the tortilla toasted I placed them on a plate and spread out approximately 10 slices of jalapeno on each tortilla. I knew it was gonna be flamin' hot, so I put a dollop of sour cream on each one to kill the heat a little.

A box of tissues to my right, and I dove in. I like to eat these as fast as I can so I can get them down before the major heat sets in and I become a crying baby.

I needed a cold glass of almond milk after to cool things off, but I felt amazing "oooohhh it burns so good." The snot was draining out like a faucet and I could feel my throat clear immediately.  It's not necessarily the heat that cures you, because after about an hour your nose and throat will have mucus in it again, but it's the capsaicin in the peppers that has a powerful antimicrobial property that boosts your immunity to fight off the infection. So eating one or two peppers will not give you the long term immunity boost, it will just temporarily clear your sinuses.

I still felt sick that evening, but when I woke up the next day I could tell the cold was almost gone. My nose was clear and my lymph nodes did not hurt anymore. It's been 4 days since I ate the jalapenos, I feel tired this week like my body is working overtime to keep me healthy, but I have had no congestion, sore throat, sinus problems, or fever like my husband and kids have had.

Like I said, this same story has happened about 4 different times now. I feel a major cold coming on while everyone else is sick around me and I hit it as hard as I can. And every time it disappears with little to no symptoms at all.

If nothing else, it's a good excuse to make a pile of nachos for dinner.

18 comments:

rockstr2 said...

i came across this cure purely by accident a few years ago as i love spicy foods i would eat jalapenos straight out of the can or in salsa

one day i could defiantly feel i was getting sick and i downed a small-ish jar of the peppers in about 5 min. **** it was hot but i like the burn and after the burn went away i was feeling much better

"By weight, green bell peppers have twice as much vitamin C as citrus fruit; red peppers have three times as much. Hot peppers contain even more vitamin C, 357 percent more than an orange. And red peppers are quite a good source of beta carotene... (p.136)"

which is another reason it helps so much it jump-starts your immune system

Barry A. said...

Like your writing style...humorous and articulate.

Mr. PDNA said...

I wag googling this since I thought Jalapenos may help. Someone told me they were "Cleansing". I am the type of person to usually YouTube about this, but too sore throat. I definitely had some Jalapenos about 5-10 with a some old el paso wraps. Will report back if I find your blog again.

Tanner Matthews said...

Definitely think jalapenos cure things. It has only worked twice but I love it. The first time, my brother and sister were sick as ever and i knew it was going to hit me. For some reason i thought an in n out burger would be good. The burger came with a little pouch of jalapenos and i had to eat them since i love hot foods. I ended up never getting sick. Recently i was given a terrible sore throat and cough. I ate some jalapenos and, though still sick, i am feeling a lot better than before.

Dee said...

I discovered I felt better after eating jalapenos quite some time ago. As an experiment, once when I had a nasty sore throat, I went right for the juice in the jalapeno jar. I did one teaspoon every two hours. It burned like no other, but my throat felt 80% better once the burning died down. Not only do you have the heat/capsaicim element, but vinegar and salt are natural antiseptics. This is definitely not recommended if you are on a low sodium diet.

Dee said...

I discovered I felt better after eating jalapenos quite some time ago. As an experiment, once when I had a nasty sore throat, I went right for the juice in the jalapeno jar. I did one teaspoon every two hours. It burned like no other, but my throat felt 80% better once the burning died down. Not only do you have the heat/capsaicim element, but vinegar and salt are natural antiseptics. This is definitely not recommended if you are on a low sodium diet.

Lauren Martin said...

About to go all in and try this with a raw jalapeño. That's right. I'm going there. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Admin said...

Lauren - you are a true trailblazer! ;) God Speed

De Leon Ey said...

I agree with the original article however I use Habanero peppers and eat only like 1/4 or half of it but once I do that it causes all this phlegm cough and mucous to drain out and the burn is so good but I would definitely suggest building tolerance to it with a gradual increase in pepper. I have the wife buying me some right now as I type. Habanero is quite a bit stronger than a jalapeño but for me I noticed it worked a lot faster as well and got rid of the cold within the next day almost completely. Jalapeño works great as well, I just like to take it a step further with the Habanero.

Be well to everyone!

Unknown said...

Been doing this for years. I wonder what the juice would do in vaporizer?

Unknown said...

Felt a good coming on yesterday so I decided to attack it with 5 habaneros and today I felt pretty good just slightly more tired like you said, amazing cure

max Lonas said...

Yes I had 5 yesterday ate 3 at first and 2 a few hours later suckers are hot but its really worth it I feel fine today

JOHNSON KATE said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JOHNSON KATE said...

Looking for natural medicine to flu without any side effect Dr. Williams is the best because it has no side effect, After my mum being diagnosed of flu in 2010, I have used numerous medicine for him with no improvement. He spent most of the summer in the hospital. I remember him feeling abandoned and terrified of the many injection needles that seemed necessary to keep him calm. All Western Medicine used in the past did not have any noticeable difference,one day as i was going through the internet i came across so many people with different disease testifying about dr williams herbal remedies,i ordered for it on line,that's when he started using dr williams Herbal Medicine,and now is completely cured from flu , his medicine is a permanent cure to flu , for more info contact (drwilliams098765@gmail.com for advice and for his product

Unknown said...

just got addicted to jalapenos and drinking the juice about a week ago....quite good with a few beers....very informative and enjoyable read....i found it while looking for... "Is drinking jalapeno juice bad for you?" you are quite the writer....

Unknown said...

tru dat wodie.

Erika Wilid said...

my mum who is 61 years old but 30 years old in her mind, has was diagnosed with severve copd, she was admitted into hospital in june 09 with an exberation of copd, she was hospitalized less than two months later and i must say alot lot worse, her sats dropped to 47 and me (her daughter) my brother and sister were called as things turned for the worse.she has to go home after a someone in the hospital recommended herbal clinic to us thankfully after three weeks and the shere determination of my mums will to live shes home, she was connected to oxygen 24hours a day, very tired,cant do things for herself. but shes alive!! this is a horrible condition for any human being to have to go thru but i can proudly say she is fully cure of COPD diease,for anyone in this condition must contact (totalcureherbalfoundation gmail com / https:// totalcureherbalfou . wixsite . com/ website)

JOHNSON KATE said...

Looking for natural medicine to flu without any side effect Dr. Williams is the best because it has no side effect, After my mum being diagnosed of flu in 2010, I have used numerous medicine for her with no improvement. she spent most of the summer in the hospital. I remember she feeling abandoned and terrified of the many injection needles that seemed necessary to keep her calm. All Western Medicine used in the past did not have any noticeable difference,one day as i was going through the internet i came across so many people with different disease testifying about dr williams herbal remedies,i ordered for it on line,that's when she started using dr williams Herbal Medicine,and now she is completely cured from flu , his medicine is a permanent cure to flu , for more info contact (drwilliams098675@gmail.com for advice and for his product

Post a Comment